Frequently asked questions

Am I allowed to apply for housing?

Anyone over 16 can apply for housing. However, the majority of our housing is aimed at older people.

In order to see the different types of housing you can apply for click the link below:


What are the different types of housing I can apply for?

In order to see the different types of housing you can apply for click the link below:


Can I fill out a paper application?

Yes. Get in touch with Bield, Hanover or Trust using the details below and we will send one to you.

How long does it take to complete the application?

The application takes about 20 minutes to complete.

What will I need to complete the application form?

You'll need your National Insurance number and you will also need to make a note of your Home for You reference number, which you’ll be given during the application process. This is the number we’ll use if we need to talk to you about your application.

What happens if I miss anything out?

Complete as much of the form as possible, otherwise your application may not be submitted, we may assess it incorrectly or take longer to process it. It's important to tick the box at the end confirming you understand and agree with the declaration.

How long do I have to complete the application?

You have up to 28 days from when you start to complete the application. Otherwise, it will be deleted and you’ll need to start again.

How do you assess my application?

We assess every application using a points system. Contact Bield, Hanover or Trust using the details below to find out more.

Can someone help me complete the application form?

Yes. Contact Bield, Hanover or Trust using the details below to find out more.

What happens after I have applied?

If you apply online, you will receive a welcome email and reference number.

Whichever way you apply, we’ll get back to you within 28 days to tell you how many points you have and talk about the next steps. We may also arrange to visit you to discuss your application.

What if my situation changes after I have submitted an application form?

Let us know as soon as possible if anything changes. Remember, if we offer you housing based on incorrect information we may need to withdraw the offer.

How long will it take me to be housed?

This depends on:

  • how many points you have;
  • the areas you want to live in; and
  • how many suitable properties are vacant.

We don't take account of the length of time you have been on the list, except when two applicants have the same number of points.

How long do you keep my information for?

We keep your details for a year. After this, if we have not housed you we will contact you to see if you want to stay on the list.

Should I also register for housing with local authorities?

As well as applying with Home for You, you should also register with your local authority, as this will improve your chances of being considered for a Home for You property. Contact Bield, Hanover or Trust using the details below to find out more.

I am homeless/about to become homeless. What should I do?

You should still submit your application. But you should also contact your local authority as soon as possible to get more advice on your housing options.

How secure is the application process?

The Home for You application process is secure and your details are kept confidential and fully protected. You can ask us for a copy of any information we hold about you but we may charge a standard fee to cover the costs of this.

I want to make a complaint

If you have a complaint, contact the housing association that sent the letter about your application as soon as possible so we can try to rectify things. You can read the complaints procedures, for each housing association below:

What is covered within the rent charge for a property

Landlord services, which are payable via the Trust rent charge, include repairs and maintenance, communal cleaning, gardening and staff costs in relation to providing a landlord service and includes the time spent by the Coordinator dealing with repairs, tenancy management issues and dealing with tenants moving into or out of the development. The Housing Support service that is provided is designed to help tenants live as independently as possible in the community. The service helps tenants manage their home and can include assistance with various things such as help to claim benefits, fill in forms, manage household budgets, emotional support, safety and security and will provide assistance in sourcing specialist services to help pursue social and/or leisure activities, obtain furnishings or assist with shopping and housework. The key is that this support is tailored to meet the specific needs of an individual. The Housing Support service is commissioned and funded by the Council who then, in some areas, reclaim an amount from tenants according to their own local charging policy.

© Home for You 2023 - Bield Housing & Care, Hanover (Scotland) Housing Association Ltd and Trust Housing Association Ltd working together Terms and Conditions Site Map Privacy policy Accessibility